Curling hair is one of those things that comes very naturally to me, and perhaps it’s because I’ve done it so often. In this tutorial, I will share with you my tips on how to create beautiful, romantic old Hollywood-nisque curls using a 1 1/2 inch barrel curling iron.
Step 1: Prime Your Hair
- Take a generous amount of Garnier Frutis smoothing cream and apply all over your hair especially around the crown and the ends. This will add shine and take care of unwanted flyaways
- Apply John Frieda heat protecting spray to prevent heat damage caused by the hot curling iron. Make sure to get good coverage on the ends
Step 2: Section Your Hair
Use pony tail holders or rubber bands and section your hair into three layers – crown, middle and base. The crown includes your bangs. Section your hair will allow you to curl your hair evenly, thus giving you an overall voluminous look at the end.
Step 3: Curl Base Layer
- Divide your base into two halves (left and right) and pull them to the front. Make sure your curling is on medium to high heat setting
- Starting on either side, take about 1 to 1.5 inch section of your hair and curl from the tip to the top of your hair. Wait three seconds and let go
- Curl the same section again, this time start from the middle section of the hair and curl to the top. Wait three seconds and let go
- Repeat the steps above until your entire base is curled
- Apply hair spray generously to lock in the curls
Step 4: Curl Middle Layer
Repeat the same steps step #3,
Step 5: Curl Crown Layer
Repeat the same steps step #3, except on the second time you curl your bangs (middle to top) hold it 3 seconds longer to get that big, vintage wave. This will give you that glamorous, old Hollywood look.
Step 6: Add Finishing Touches
Use Garnier Frustis smoothing cream to smooth out any residual flyaways. This will give you a sleek and polished finish.